Sunday, November 11, 2007

Okay, this earth is ruined. We gotta get a new one!

"Quiet! A whale is in trouble, I have to go!"
-Al Gore talking to Liz Lemon (Tina Fey) during guest role on 30 Rock last Thursday night.

The title of today's blog comes from what Liz says at the very end of the episode, when the big earth they had hanging on the set becomes engulfed in flames. Part of NBC Universal's GREEN WEEK. If you normally don't watch 30 Rock, it's a pretty funny show, and last week it was funny with the environmental elements added. I think it was interesting to watch the promos for the Green week and then see all the levels of tips, suggestions, ideas the network had. I don't know what it was like on all the cable channels they own since I don't have cable. Overall, I think it was a good idea if it helps get the message out there, but who knows how effective it was in getting people to change their habits and behaviors.

So anyways, last weekend, I drove (eek!) down to College Park, Maryland to attend the first ever youth summit on global warming and trying to affect change. I got their late morning on Saturday and registration was a little chaotic. But as I went into the field house, I was there just in time to hear Ralph Nader speak. He was promoting his book, but also speaking out as an independent voice against Washington and the choices of Congress. I think it was interesting for him speaking to the younger generations who aren't exactly known for their activism or outspokenness, especially in comparison to the times in the 60's where the baby boomer generation was all about protests and speaking out. But despite the age differences, I think his words rang true for those in attendance at the talk and struck an accord between one another. Nader told a story of when he wanted to speak to Al Gore, he had to wait in line at a book signing in order to speak with him. He too also felt the hopelessness at the end of An Inconvenient Truth and wanted to discuss promoting positive actions that would get people up off their couches and on to their feet. Nader brought the crowds and brought the big political message, which I thought was good to hear, even though the politics wasn't the reason I was there so to speak. And of course, he was all about Solar energy.


Okay, that is part one of this long session on POWERSHIFT 2007. More to come.

But here are some websites to check out:

www.shopipl.org
www.lighterfootstep.com
www.treehugger.com

Until later!

Natalie

No comments: